"This is where they fought the battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fighting the same fight that we are still fighting among ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pouring right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, and you take a lesson from the dead. If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other of not, but you will respect each other. And maybe... I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men. "
Today I heard this man speak! Coach Herman Boone, coach of the Mighty Titans. He was the final speaker in UVU's week dedicated to MLK. I got the chance to sit in a small meeting this morning with the coach as he remembered his time with the Titans and the incredible impact his team had on the history of America. He spoke of Dr. King and the impact he had around the world and how "his contributions to the world have been unmatched by anyone or anything in the world" . Coach credits his players with this incredible role in history, they were the ones who "followed a man for his virtue, character and values, instead of judging him for the color of his skin". Boone is truly a man who has lived a full life and has seen things that have changed the world and he is more than willing to tell you about his experience, about his life as a man who was chosen to change America, and he did so. He concluded his speech with a simple statement
Speak up and Speak out!
this is something I hope we all will live by!


No comments:
Post a Comment