Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rorz

this guys waltzed into my life 4 years ago, I remember it vividly, I was sitting on an awful green chair in the Hall of Flags at UVU trying to study, when I heard yelling coming from the other end of the hall, I tried ignoring the loud voice, when this freakishly tall boy walked past me yelling on the phone, not just yelling but yelling profanities for all to hear. This rather tall gentleman was wearing some gym shorts that would be pants on me, a white wife beater some tall white socks and some slip on sandals. You may be wondering where his shirt was... tucked nicely into his waist band. I am sure I was not the only person in the hall that saw this spectacle, because thats what it was, but I think everyone else had grown accustomed to this New Zealander walking around like he owned the place and like he had just woken up. Over the next four years I ran into this character at athletic functions or student government events, then last summer we became friends. He left in August to play basketball in China for New Zealand and when he came back he was a different person. He told me, Kirsten and Dolph was we were leaving the State Fair that he was going to get baptized. I was a little shocked but more than that I could see that he had thought long and hard about the decision. November rolled around and Rory was baptized and I don't think I have ever really been able to see someone truly embrace the gospel like he did. I could literally see the light in him and it was incredible. As the school year progressed Rory and I became the best of friends. He was the first to call me after my surgery and when I finally moved back down to Provo he would come and sit with me everyday at work and just make me laugh uncontrollably. Being his senior year, his Visa was up at the end of the semester and he had to go home to New Zealand after five years in Utah.

Once you have met this kid and had even the slightest of conversations with him you would find out that he is an incredible man. He would do anything for his family and his brother Cam is his best friend. He started watching a cartoon in Japanese, just so he could talk to his brother about it. He talks about his mom every chance he can and will invite you to stay with them in New Zealand if you ever have the chance to go. I will miss this kid a lot. He is one of my dearest friends and he has truly changed my life over the last year.
The farewell BBQ



The airport, this is Rory stalling  
yes that is a dream catcher on his shirt

So Long Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment